Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Roller Coaster Week

If you take a look at my previous post, you would see that life seemed to be headed towards the upward mend.  However, it quickly took an unusual turn!  Needless to say – it was an interesting week!  Haha.  I won’t go into detail but I’ll give you a hint: bathroom stalls, all-out brawls, and poor choices galore…  I’ll leave the rest up to your imagination.  You can tell it’s about time for break! 
On a positive note- I have some funny stories to share! 
1.  I had a student ask to borrow some scissors and a glue stick for a project he was doing.  I reluctantly gave them to him, making him promise to bring both items back the next day.  When I went to pick up my first grade group in the hallway, I see this student standing with a stack full of papers up to his nose, along with the glue stick and scissors in his hands.  He greeted me by placing his “project” in my hands and eagerly awaited my response.  He showed me each of the different creations that he had been working so hard on… some snowflakes, some drawings, some “presents” (glued pieces of paper that I had to open to see what was inside), and a picture frame, all complete with a bag of shapes (a ziplock bag crammed full with scraps from each of his creations).  I had a total of 30 “presents” made for me. I could tell that he had spent the majority of his evening on this.  How thoughtful!  J 

2. When teaching the after-school program this week, a student exclaimed, “I have to go to the bathroom really bad!”  So I told him that he could go use the restroom.  His response, “I’m just going to hold it until I get home.  The toilets at school scare me – they are so loud and make me feel like they are going to suck me in!”  Poor guy!  I told him there was nothing to be afraid of and that all schools have powerful toilets because so many people use them.  I also told him that I had never heard of anyone getting sucked into a toilet.  I hope that he can get over his fear!  It would be awfully uncomfortable (and unhealthy) to have to hold it all day every day!

3. Friday was a rough day behavior-wise!  After reminding my kiddos of our classroom rules and having a brief discussion about respect, one of my students raised her hand wanting to contribute to the discussion.  This is what she shared, “You have to do a lot of work because you’re a teacher.  That’s why kids shouldn’t be disrespectful because you work so hard!”    And these are the words of a first grader!  Love it!  J       
Even after a rough day, my students never cease to put a smile on my face!  They really do remind me of the exact reasons why I teach and always keep me looking at the bright side of things! 
Have you smiled today?
~Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment